The Milling Wheat Challenge
nabim (supported by AHDB) ran the Milling Wheat Challenge for five years and it became established as the competition recognising farmers who had the combination of skills to grow and market quality milling wheat.
The competition proved to be an excellent vehicle for promoting the UK milling sector and its support for UK wheat producers.
Winners from all years were able to show that they consistently grew quality milling wheat, understood the associated technical issues, were able to market their wheat effectively and had a clear vision for both milling wheat growing on their farms and in the UK.The five winners of the competition managed farms in many different areas of the country:
- Joe Edwards (2014) - West Sussex (at the time of entry)
- Stephen Craggs (2013) - Durham
- Andrew Robinson (2012) - Bedfordshire
- James Price (2011) - Oxfordshire
- Alan Ponder (2010) - Essex